Eastern Washington University Sustainability Project

So today I met with the "unofficial" official president of the Eastern Washington University Sustainability Project today at the recommendation of Reina.  She had met with Kelsey on Friday and everything she was telling me about the project in itself was simply calling my name. I couldn't wait to start talking with them and somehow get involved and boy was I even more excited after our meeting today!

I've mentioned multiple times in this blog that I used to farm in the middle of Kansas and that I simply loved the farm life.  There is something about being able to witness the fruits of your labor grow as time passes and to look at a field right before harvest and say, "I did that."  For reasons unknown to me, this prior lifestyle has instilled in me a passion for simply growing that I don't think will ever escape me in this life. As a result, I have had this drive in me to garden and to at least try and bring back the popularity of a home garden within my community. In part, it is this idea of mine that led me to start blogging about DIY stuff in the beginning. I have long since learned that there is nothing more worthwhile than doing things yourself; especially being able to feed yourself.

That being said, the idea of a student-led and organized food sustainability program simply shouted out my name!  As soon as I started hearing about what the program was all about and the things they had planned I couldn't get involved quick enough. Along the way hopefully we will stem a passion within the community and start a new trend in food sustainability practices within Cheney and the larger Spokane area as well as lead the way for EWU to introduce new academic programs such as Agronomy and the likes.

As of today, here is a list of only a few of the Sustainability Project's accomplishments:

  • Created a comprehensive website: www.sustainable-ewu.org
  • Aided in the Farmers Market relocation next to PUB
  • Manned a booth EWU's first-ever Earth Day, 2011
  • Created a comprehensive and extensive proposal that was sent to the University President
  • Attended "Globalization" conference at Riverpoint with Dr. Laurie Morley
  • Finalized professional design graphic for permanent EWU Community Garden
  • Received scholarship to attend National Real Food Challenge Conference, 2012
  • EWU Sustainability Project is 1 of 40 semi-finalist teams to head to next round out of 250 teams in the Be The Change student competition
  • Applied for positions on EWU Sustainability Council, 2012
That is by no means all of the accomplishments that have occurred in the past year or so, simply the most notable.

One major event series that we are planning is a documentary movie series on the issues of food sustainability, local/organic agriculture, and the fair-trade market.  First of which will be a week from today on Monday, March 19 on campus.  



We will be screening the film "The Greenhorns" in Martin 158 at 5:30pm.  There will be food and coffee at the event so please feel free to come check it out!  The link above will take you to a little bio of the film as well as a trailer and if it's something that might interest you I strongly encourage you to leave a comment or email me for some more info.  Hope to see you there!

Be sure to keep an eye out for more posts regarding the Sustainability Project and our events/activities.

No comments:

Post a Comment