My Favorite Time of Year - DIY Season!

With March making it's presence known and the weather beings to warm up (slowly if you live in Spokane) I will be coming into my element, and with that will come a whole slew of new blogs and adventures.  For those of you who don't know me, or at least not very well, please allow me to give a little background on myself and my passion for spring and summer.

I spent my childhood working on my best friend's farm.  I liked it so much as a kid that when I graduated high school I went all the way back to Kansas just to spend the summer working there one last time. Obviously, farm life is definitely not for everyone, but for those who enjoy it; the mentality you get there never really leaves you.  Living and/or working on a farm for any amount of time longer that a week brings about many inevitable life lessons that I personally think that everyone should experience (if you're interested in just how much I think everyone should do this, click here). 

Arguably one of the most important lessons learned on the farm is that you need to learn how to do as many things as possible yourself. Time is money, the saying goes. And when you're on a farm and something is broken you either have to fix your yourself or waste money and time (which is again money) paying and waiting for someone else to fix it.  The other side to the skill is the ability to create things yourself. Another good ole' farm mantra is "I can fix/make anything with duct tape and bailing wire."

This mindset of do/build/fix anything you can by yourself in combination with being raised by my dad, somewhat of an amazingly skilled handy-man instilled in me this passion for doing everything myself. I find almost nothing more aggravating than having to buy something I could/should build myself of pay someone else to fix something that I don't know how.  For that reason, among many others, I have decided to start blogging about my DIY projects and home repairs.

It is my hope that somehow this might help me generation get back a little of the "do-it-yourself mentality" and save a little extra coin along the way. So, start looking for things towards the end of this month as it finally begins to get warmer outside. 

No comments:

Post a Comment