Trollhunter


Wow! It's been a crazy long time since I've posted to this blog, let alone done a Netflix confession. I figure it's past time and I'm just gonna jump in!

Just look at that film cover! That about explains this movie in a nutshell. Yes, it just so happens to be another foreign language film (apparently I have an obsession with those) and yes, it is yet another lost footage film. It more or less says all of that in the little Netflix bio and because I've been hesitating on this movie for months. Finally I brought myself to sit down and watch it. I took the whole afternoon and turned out the office lights and didn't do anything else.

To be completely honest, I was incredibly surprised by how much I enjoyed the movie. It's the story of a government Troll Hunter who is secretly charged by the TSS (Troll Security Service - Yeah.. it's that intense) to keep all of Norway's trolls under tight wraps from the public eye. Fortunately for a couple of college-aged filmmakers he's getting tired of his secret lifestyle and is searching for a way out, even if it means punishment at the hands of the Norwegian government. Doubly lucky for the filmmakers is the fact that something mysterious has all the trolls stirred up and making trouble!

The thing I liked about this film - and probably why I like a lot of foreign language films - is the fact that I was familiar with absolutely none of the actors in this film. The best thing about not knowing any of the main actors is how you're always surprised at how good the talent is. I love George Clooney, Brad Pitt, and Meryl Streep just as much as the next guy, but there is definitely something refreshing about seeing a new face every now and then. And, it goes to show that there is acting talent outside of Hollywood, America - you just have to know where to look for it.

A fairly decent plot line makes up for the lacking special effects that come with a low budget film making Trollhunter a surprisingly good film to watch on a rainy afternoon. It's not incredibly scary, but at the same time isn't something you'd watch with the kiddos. I wouldn't put this at the top of your queue; there are better movies out there. What I would do instead is save it for a day when you've watched the months batch of good new releases when there isn't anything else to watch.

Overall Rating: 7.5

No comments:

Post a Comment